Year-end Survey 2022 in Trichotomy
- Dec. 27, 2022, 12:30 a.m.
1. What did you do in 2022 that you’d never done before?
Use a heart-shaped jacuzzi. Work a Hybrid in-person/remote work week.
2. Did you achieve your goals for the year, and will you make more for next year?
Did not make resolutions
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not exactly a birth, but spencer’s adopted child arrived! So I’m now an uncle.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully not. Several health scares though.
5. What countries did you visit?
Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary
6. Where did you go on vacation?
Central Europe. Also, the Poconos.
7. What would you like to have in 2023 that you lacked in 2022?
8. What date from 2022 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day we spent in Vienna was fun.
9. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not eating the rabbit. On a more serious note, I am quite happy with how well the automated concert scheduler (aka ENT-pianist bot) is holding up. Also proud of the fund-raiser concert for Ukraine we organised back in April.
10. What was your biggest regret?
Dragging my feet with changing teams.
11. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got Covid in May.
12. What was the best thing you bought?
The plug-in hybrid. Overpriced, but we are saving a lot on fuel.
13. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Fat dumb and lazy Americans, who resoundingly rejected the crazies when given a choice.
14. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
15. Where did most of your money go?
16. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Visiting Petra’s factory.
17. What song will always remind you of 2022?
The Stars and Stripes Forever
18. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier
ii. thinner or fatter? About the same.
iii. richer or poorer? With inflation rates like this? Poorer.
19. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Practising for my Carnegie Hall solos
20. What do you wish you’d done less of?
21. How did/will you spend Christmas?
Driving up to La Professeure’s parents after winter storm Elliot delayed our travel plans.
22. Did you fall in love in 2021?
With the right person, you fall in love every day.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV program?
I quite liked And Just Like That and She Hulk. Oh and House of Dragon
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. Who is someone you will probably never see again after this year?
27. What was the best book(s) you read?
The Voice by Thomas Quasthoff
28. What was your greatest musical discovery?
29. What did you want and get?
Vacation in Central Europe
30. What did you want and not get?
More time to work on the Tinder-for-musicians app.
31. What was your favourite film of this year?
Don’t remember watching many movies. I really liked the World Cup Final from the 78th minute on though. Does that count?
32. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Toured the factory where Petra was made. 45.
33. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
New house with better commute options.
34. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2022?
35. What kept you sane?
36. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
37. Who did you miss?
Friends who moved away from New York since the Pandemic.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
The Ukrainian co-worker who works from Munich. Very smart, very kind, but very (and too) humble.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2022:
Nothing lasts forever
40. Tell us something you’ve learned about yourself:
Playing solos at Carnegie Hall doesn’t excite me anymore. I didn’t need Google Translate to get around Vienna.
41. If you could relive any day from 2022, which would it be and why?
My Birthday. Visiting Petra’s birthplace was a religious experience. And we had such a good guide and the smallest group.
42. Did any of your predictions for the future come true in 2022?
Did not make predictions.
43. What was the funniest thing that happened to you (or the funniest thing you did) this year?
Made a hole-in-one in mini golf where the ball popped outside of the equipment and then bounced back in.
44. What was the worst thing that happened to you this year?
Getting a high cholesterol reading in my lipid panel.
45. What was the best thing that happened to you this year?
Getting picked to play in our Carnegie Hall concert as a soloist for a fifth time. Getting a pet rabbit. Getting to visit Petra’s factory (took some planning and luck).
46. What was the hardest thing you did this year?
Getting our project at work launched.
47. A new food that you were introduced to:
Nockerl, which I liked. Knedlíky, which I am indifferent to.
48. What traditions were started?
Letting the rabbit out in the morning when I work from home. Wordle, Quordle, and Duolingo.
49. What traditions were broken?
Now that I work from the office half the week, I don’t cook nearly as much anymore.
50. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
51. Did you save any Chinese fortune cookie fortunes from this year, what do they say?
52. What is something you have vowed to never do again?
Get less than 7 hours of sleep a night.
53. Headlines in the news from this year that you’ll remember most:
Russia invades Ukraine. Liz Truss resigns. Roe overturned. Argentina wins the world cup.
54. In 2022, what did you realize you had previously taken for granted?
55. Are there any memorable slogans/sayings that describe and/or are from this year?
In a blue-and-yellow banner in front of Church of St. Salvator in Prague: “Hands off Ukraine, Putin!”
56. What will you be doing this New Years’ Eve?
57. Where were you last New Years’ Day (2021)?
At home doing nothing of note.
Last updated December 31, 2022