- list text hereWhat is Ozone?
Ozone is a gas without a color which is made up of three atoms of oxygen. It has been used in medicine as an alternative therapy to improve the body’s intake and use of oxygen, as well as, for the activation of the immune system.
What is Ozone therapy?
Ozone therapy, in medicine, is used as an alternative therapy for the above-mentioned reasons, but also to disinfect and treat various health conditions by disinfecting the area around them.
However, ozone therapy should be performed with a lot of precaution as ozone is toxic when inhaled. Using gas for medicinal purposes is also very unusual, but this does not mean that it does not have health benefits. Ozone therapy should be performed by a trained specialist by using certain techniques.
What is Ozone therapy used?
It is believed that Ozone therapy has been used around the globe for medical purposes for more than 150 years ago. Today, ozone therapy is used for the treatment of the following medical conditions:
- Infected wounds,
- Viral diseases,
- Macular degeneration,
- Geriatric disorders,
- AIDS, etc.
What are the benefits of Ozone therapy?
It is believed that Ozone therapy is beneficial to human health because:
- It inactivates bacteria, viruses, yeast, parasites, fungi, and protozoa, preventing this way various infections,
- Has anti-inflammatory properties,
- Stops the bleeding,
- Purifies the blood and the lymph,
- Improves the circulation of blood through the body by cleaning the blood vessels,
- Reduces cardiac arrhythmia and abnormal heart rhythm,
- Reduces possible complications which can develop because of diabetes,
- Normalises the production of hormones and enzymes in the body,
- Stimulates the immune system, speeding up the healing process,
- Improves brain function,
- Improves memory,
- Limits the damages due to stroke,
- Prevents shock,
- Reduces pain, etc.
As you can see there are quite a lot of benefits that one can have from Ozone therapy.
Is Ozone therapy safe?
Yes, Ozone therapy is safe and its benefits are consistent when performed by specialists. However, any exposure too ozone can be very dangerous as it is a toxic gas. If this occurs it significantly increases the risk of death due to respiratory problems. Even small amounts of ozone have a toxic effect on the human lungs causing shortness of breath, coughing, and permanent damage to the lung tissue, increasing this way the risk of developing infections.
What are the possible side effects and complications of Ozone therapy?
As mentioned, Ozone therapy is safe when performed by trained specialists in certified medical centers. However, when Ozone therapy is not performed correctly and a human gets exposed to ozone the following signs and symptoms develop:
- Shortness of breath,
- Nausea and vomiting,
- Chest pain and chest tightness,
- Poor blood circulation,
- Heart problems,
- Swelling of the blood vessels,
- Increased risk of stroke,
- Bowel rupture,
- Damage to the eardrum,
- Enzyme inactivation,
- Pulmonary embolism,
- Death, when the therapy is administered intravenously.
One of the main side effects is the Herxheimer reaction, which is a condition characterised by flu-like symptoms, but the affected person gets very worse in a short period of time.
Luckily, these side effects are rare and in normal circumstances when performed by specialists, Ozone therapy NYC is a safe procedure. Also, the side effects of Ozone therapy will depend on the type of treatment that a person has undergone, as well as, from the way how Ozone therapy is administered.
What type of Ozone therapy is the best?
There are many types of Ozone therapy and ways how this therapy is administered. However, one thing you normally would not want is to breath the ozone, because as mentioned, it is very toxic and could lead to death even if very small amounts of this gas are inhaled.
Which Ozone therapy is the best depending on your goals. You should consult a specialist and determine which one is the best and more beneficial as everyone is individual. Here are some Ozone therapy types from which you can benefit:
- Ozonated water or ozonated oil - is considered as the easiest type of Ozone therapy. This therapy consists of putting the ozone in the water or oil and swallowing it. This way you will deliver the ozone directly to your gastrointestinal system. Using ozonated water or oil is beneficial if you are dealing with pathogenic bacteria or parasites in your gastrointestinal system. If you want better oral hygiene, you can also use this water or oil. If you want to disinfect the skin around the wounds in cases of infections, you can also use ozonated water or ozonated oil as it will disinfect the area, kill the harmful pathogens and speed up the recovery process.
- Ten pass ozone - is the strongest type of Ozone therapy, and at the same time, it is considered as the most effective. However, being the strongest and the most effective does not mean that it easy and without complications. Ten pass ozone at the same time is also the most invasive type of Ozone therapy. This procedure consists in drawing some blood first, infusing it with ozone and then recirculating ti for ten times in a row.
- Ozone injections - are another type of Ozone therapy. This type of therapy consists of injecting ozone in a certain part of the body and is usually used for the treatment of tumors, specific organs, etc.
- Rectal ozonation - is another treatment option which consists in inserting about one liter of ozone gas into your colon through the rectum buying a catheter.
As you can see, there are many types of Ozone therapy and also many health benefits. However, the most important thing is to perform it professionally and correctly in order to completely minimise the risk of inhaling ozone as it is a very toxic gas leading to death even in small amounts. Our specialists who are experienced and trained in Ozone therapy will gladly answer all your questions about this alternative therapy treatment. Make sure to book an appointment with us if you are considering Ozone therapy.
Last updated January 13, 2020